Worldwide leader in universal control and sensing technologies wanted a Mobile App based ultra low cost IoT solutions with associated Gateway and hub for securing home against fire, flood and freeze.
Results / Outcomes
- Delivered a low cost home security solution that provided convenience, ease of use, and user friendly UI to home users
- Developed, tested, and deployed a solution that consists of a mobile app, cloud app, and an IoT hub gateway.
- User experience provided through the mobile app through intuitive UI, was well received by the user community
- The homeowner would receive notifications if there was a water (flood), temperature (freeze), or fire (smoke detector) event. By receiving notification early, they can thus take action and prevent a catastrophic event from occurring possibly.
- In the case of flood or freeze events, the home owner can take action from their mobile app by shutting of the water valves and thermostat.
- Installing the system may allow home owner rebate on a portion of their homeowners insurance policy cost.
- Heavily optimized solution to reduce number of messages and cost
- Highly scalable cloud application to support millions of Hubs
The System Description
- Developed, tested, and deployed a mobile app for both iOS, and Android with intuitive UI design
- A setup wizard has been developed as part of the mobile app
- Mobile app connects to the Hub directly over Wi-Fi and used REST APIs to configure and read various setup parameters
- The app alerts users of the events detected from hub using APNS and FCM push notifications.
- The app allows users to control valves and thermostats.
- The cloud application will initiates event notifications to the users via Test, email, or push notifications.
- Amazon services like AWS SNS, AWS SES and FCM services are leveraged for notification.
- REST APIs (AWS API Gateway) is used for communication between the Cloud and mobile apps.
- The hub was designed an ultra low cost hardware capable of running OpenWRT Linux.
- The gateway supports Ethernet and Wi-Fi interfaces for communication with home router.
- Gateway supports 433MHz radio and Z-wave for sensor communication.
- 433MHz based sensor nodes detect events like fire, flood and freeze and communicate that to the Hub.
Work Flow Diagram
Technology Used: Node.js, MQTT, AWS IOT, Lambda, Dynamo DB, iOS/Android